Safety involves much more than simply locking up at the end of the day. As a business owner, you must provide a safe environment for both employees and guests, along with protecting the premises from criminals. Try these five tips for keeping your business safer:
1. Train your employees: In the simplest sense, your employees should be thoroughly trained before operating any non-standard equipment or before using any hazardous materials. However, more comprehensive training includes practicing emergency escape drills, studying safety procedures, explaining general rules such as no running, donning protective clothing/equipment etc.
2. Provide a clean workplace: Clutter creates a breeding ground for bacteria and other germs, which can affect workers’ health in severe conditions. More commonly, clutter can cause trips and slips, which is the leading cause of injury across all general industries. Maintain a well-cleaned and tidy workplace so employees can perform their jobs hazard-free.
3. Hire reliable employees: Criminal activity is always a threat, especially when it’s internal. To prevent fraudulent employees from stealing from your business, conduct thorough interviews. Run background checks and call references to ensure that each candidate appears to be honest. It’s impossible to be certain, but devoting the time to hiring the right staff can save you a lot of trouble down the road.
4. Beef up security: Security should be a top priority, for the sake of both your business’ assets and your staff’s safety. Install a security alarm from a company that offers 24/7 monitoring services, security cameras to deter theft, outdoor lighting to lower the chances of your business becoming an easy target and any other safety measures you see fit.
5. Use electronic ID cards: Drawing from security measures, giving each employee an electronic ID card ensures that only a select number of people have access to the building. It’s a good idea to re-code all keycards if it appears that they’ve been tampered with and after an employee is terminated.
Don’t forget the value of comprehensive coverage. Call Andrews Insurance Agency at 401-722-4271 for more information on Pawtucket business insurance.